Super Reds

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
The reason I am starting this thread in my photography folder is to not only show pics of the progression of these two arowanas, but I also plan on taking pics using different settings and lighting arrangements so members can learn something about photography that I hope will lead to you guys taking better photos.

First of all, this tank is barebottom and has a black garbage bag background, lol. Yes yes, I'll get o tiles and a more permanent colour on the backside.

There is a significant difference with barebottoms. They make everything twice as bright. It's even worse with flash. I took these without flash to get the fish used to the camera. The CV Maju in particular runs when I bring the camera up to focus. It's not unusual for individual fish to do this for the first few weeks.

These photos were taken WITHOUT flash. Lights consist of 2x36" HO Hagen t5s. I think they're 16K bulbs and they put out 54 WATTS apiece = 108 WATTS total.

Camera settings were:

(results will vary depending on your camera gear)

ISO 1000
Shutter speed 1/80-1/100
Aperture F/6.1

First two pics is the CV Maju SR

dec15CVMAJU1.jpg

dec15CVMAJU2.jpg

Next two pics are of the Pang Long Diablo

dec15DIABLO1.jpg

dec15DIABLO2.jpg

m_class2g

Sponsor
im always a fan of slight spoon but like the traditional bullet better. both are nice fish! will be exciting to see updated monthly pics of these 2. looks like the diablo has a little bit more colour on the gill plate. lets see how these 2 develop over time!

are both exactly the the same size? tag dates?

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Cert dates

Pang Long July 7/10

CV Maju November 24/10

I did not measure these fish to the mm. The Pang Long is about 1 cm longer perhaps.

bcarlos

Yes, very interested to see how these fish progress. Off the jump, I'd say the pang long has the nicer body shape and higher shine, and the Maju shows more gill plate colouration and blushed lips.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I prefer the Pang Long over the Maju for body shape and shine; final coloration will be the most interesting to see and is still a toss up I think.

lol now that you point out the pectorals... :)

Last edited:

hondas3000

I think each shipment is different as my maju red body is like pang long instead of this one.

Gerry, ISO 1000 is insane and the picture is clear.

cheon

This will be interesting to watch !!!! Mine looks alot lik red 1. But damn that diable looks nice. Nice shape and dark body but reds are unpredictable but so far hate to say it the diablos got the lead at this stage.thx for posting mel it will be fun to watch.

Arrow

Both fish look great and I love the pics.

If I had to choose I'd say the third pic is best and fish also

Deffinately the Diablo the deep body , high degree of shine mixed with a nice spoon head is hard to beat (though wish they came with nice thick frames but I think that of every red lol ). Think this Diablo is always gonna be the nicer of these two fish but these are only two individuals from there respective farms and the Maju still looks to be a nice fish. Ideally the comparison would include multiple fish but still be great to watch them develop especially under such a great photographer!

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Thanks, J. :)

A few from tonight. The diablo was pretty shy in front of the camera, while the Maju was out and about.

Still no flash. Bumped ISO up to 1250 in order to use a quicker shutter speed of 1/125. Shallow DOF at f/5.6. This limits me to profile shots mostly.

Diablo

dec17DIABLO1.jpg

dec17DIABLO2.jpg

CV Maju

dec17MAJU2.jpg

dec17MAJU3.jpg

Those are just awesome shots! Why do you have to live so far away lol love for you to take pics of my elkindo as I'm the worlds worst photographer lol Both the Diablo and the Maju look great

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Those are just awesome shots! Why do you have to live so far away lol love for you to take pics of my elkindo as I'm the worlds worst photographer lol Both the Diablo and the Maju look great

Thanks!

I might be out your way very early in the new year. Most of my family is in vancouver/victoria. If I'm heading out, I'll let you know in advance. :cool:

That would be awesome as it would seem crappy camera and crappy photographer leads to even worse pics lol

Thanks!

I might be out your way very early in the new year. Most of my family is in vancouver/victoria. If I'm heading out, I'll let you know in advance. :cool: