bacteria house media

isjah

I am sure theres been discussions about this before, but what the heck I will bring it up again, could anyone bring it up?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Me and Eric (EEYY) looked into it a few years back. The problem is that we have to order a TONNE of it for $4500!!

Now, I am not sure how long it would take to sell 1000 KG packs of the stuff, but I would guess it would take years. Good bulk price though.

I went through the trouble of contacting the Bacteria House guys and they sent me a couple KGS sample. I will let you know how it works out when I use it. :)

isjah

i think 1000kg wouldnt take that long should have a poll. i would give full price up front.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I would not jump to a poll until we have a better idea of the project.

Here is an idea. If you and maybe Eric were to be the distributor guy(s) for GTA, if Eddio were to be the guy for Alberta, if I did BC, and if another guy or two did Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Quebec, it could be doable.

In addition to the upfront cost of the filter media, there would be the shipping cost from Singapore, customs costs, etc. Then there would be the costs inside Canada to ship the product to the various cities. If you and all the other "distributors" were willing to divide the cost equally, and invest equally, it could possibly be done. :)

It would, however, be a lot of work. Personally, I am too busy with other things in life to lead the project; I would support the concept for the group, however, if there is the will to do it.

In the next month or so I will fire off some emails to various people in the club to see if there is interest. Thinking here more about the interest to be the distributors.

Summer holidays are upon us all now and so it could be hard to move on this project fast.

isjah

i wouldn't have a problem with that, like you said it'll be a big project, and when anyone has anytime to investigate the cost and etc. i will be fully on board.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Okay, let's return to this in the fall; this could be a fun project to develop over the fall/winter. :)

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Time to resurrect this thread.

Looking at about $7000 for a ton, working out to around $10 per kilo by the time all taxes, shipping inside Canada, etc., are factored in.

I would be in for quite a bit...50-100 kilos. I bet a lot of you would be in too at this price.

The remainder could be sold I am sure.

Anyone interested? :)

chen88

Super Moderator
how many kilos would fill a 60x18x20 sump? hrm.....and a fx5!....what ever it would be I'd definitely be in for that! and some extra for future usage for sure!

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
So, without any advertising we are up to 130-150 kilos. If we were to sell it at $15 per kilo we would come out ahead for sure.

I will contact EEYY. He is in Toronto. If he took half, I took half, it is doable.
You Chen and Howard would get yours off him, while he would also sell to broader market. Meanwhile I do the same out West. I will try to get him to post his thoughts here.