looking for microchip scanner

snow

If I may ask I do you need to buy one? Never heard of anyone buying them before...didn't even know you could buy one.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
I need to use one, not necessarily purchase one. If I can't find a local vet who has one, then I don't have any choice. Without going into any details publicly, I am having a dispute over a xb that was NOT purchased from anyone on this forum. I entered the chip number from the cert into the farm websites database and the chip number does not exist.

I just sent the farm a picture of the cert (which looks legitimate according to the farms website) along with my concerns about the chip number.

But without a scanner, I can't check the chip in the fish.

Ooooh, intrigue!

EEYY

I need to use one, not necessarily purchase one. If I can't find a local vet who has one, then I don't have any choice. Without going into any details publicly, I am having a dispute over a xb that was NOT purchased from anyone on this forum. I entered the chip number from the cert into the farm websites database and the chip number does not exist.

I just sent the farm a picture of the cert (which looks legitimate according to the farms website) along with my concerns about the chip number.

But without a scanner, I can't check the chip in the fish.

Ooooh, intrigue!

I totally understand what you mean.

tman

Super Moderator
Most Veterinarians should have them as lots of purebred dogs are chipped now! I had my puppy scanned when I got him but I am in Alberta.

1goodcatch

good luck Gerry. I know they guy at Aqua pets in Markham has a scanner but dont know if he will let you borrow it.
$500 to scan once seems like a bit too much if you are forced to buy it

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll need to check out the local vets. I'm sure one in this town has one.

And the farm replied within a few hours that the cert is indeed valid as is the chip #.

Now I really need to find a scanner. :p

hustler

Cant you get them fairly cheap on ebay? I looked up the frequency for the cites chips in arowana and found a few there before..... Under $300 shipped.Ive never actually tried one however but it would have to work as its all standard and international. The one we used to scan my bbxb was an AVID and it was a cheepo for sure.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
I could get a cheapie but I've been told that they are often upgraded and if I got an older one, it might not work on a newer chip.

I'm going to check with local vets before deciding to buy one.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Got an appt with a vet on monday. She'll do it free of charge. The clinic happens to be the clinic that handles all the herps in Winnipeg and she's curious to add an arowana to her list.

I think that's neat. :)

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Good luck Gerry.

Vinh says I missed you by about 5 mins at the gallery on tuesday. Hope everything gets settled.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Well, I took the aro to the vet. Tried scanning through the bag. Didn't work. X-rayed the fish and located the chip. The scanner worked so long as there was no water between the scanner and the fish. The chip matched up to the farm cert.

I'm trying to buy the xray because it's pretty darn cool. The vet will email me the price, she has to check with the office manager.

She has a friend who works with wildlife in the Pathology Dept at the University of Manitoba who might be interested in working with some aro carcasses, specifically PLJ and drop eye. The vet believes that post mortem will very much tell what's going on with a jaw or drop eyes. So she'll let me know about that and if the person is interested, she'll have my email. So I might be collecting a few dead aros. :p

And now to deal with the original issue: my unhappiness with the seller of the fish in question. I won't go public with details until I have given the seller a chance to correct this matter, but what I'm dealing with is a fish that was sold as a 24K Grade AA crossback that essentially looks like an RTG at 12".

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Quite the story Gerry. I am especially interested in the post mortem aspect related to PLJ/DE. My guess is that such post mortems would indicate "indeterminate cause" for the PLJ and build up of fatty tissue for the DE; which would take us back to square one in the whole matter. Still, if your friend were able to come up with real insight, that would be big news.

Sorry about the XB "issue", whoever the seller is should try and make it right. Having been down that road it is a pain in the ass for all involved, especially since it can become pass-the-buck all the way back to the farm. :rolleyes: But it doesn't even necessarily stop there! I have heard of cases of corrupt farm workers stealing the best juvies, slipping in cheap fish in return, without the farm owner ever knowing till way later.

Boydo

I hope everything works out for you Gerry. These can be very frustrating and disappointing situations. Best of luck!