My 300G Is on the Way.. Asian aro comm here i come

Joey

looks good!

Is the water level in the pic of the sump at opperating level?

What are you using to seal the pump? where is the leak comming from?

hustler

The water level is high, but thats where the overflow for the auto changer is to the drain....
Im going to have to put air stones in there to make it more productive i think...
The pump threads on the top fitting were a little rough when i got it, I tried a double wrap of teflon, then a tripple, then a single lol now Im out of ideas.... The pump has a 1 1/2 inch threaded outlet and its seeping there.

mareshow

Banned
edit: sorry i didnt read your last post *slap* if you wouldnt mind i could come over and take a peek, i may be able to help...

Last edited:

hustler

That would be awesome bro, Im not too far from you either, Gotta give me a bit to clean up the house though.....Wifey says every time i have a project i set her cleaning back 3 weeks lol And this set up was a gooder ;)
edit: sorry i didnt read your last post *slap* if you wouldnt mind i could come over and take a peek, i may be able to help...

chen88

Super Moderator
That would be awesome bro, Im not too far from you either, Gotta give me a bit to clean up the house though.....Wifey says every time i have a project i set her cleaning back 3 weeks lol And this set up was a gooder ;)

LOL....3 weeks eh! have the lady in that picture give you a hand!

Good to see members helping each other where they can!...

Joey

Id apply some weld-on 16 to that joint. No need for teflon.

It will stop the leak for sure.....

Down side= its permanent.

chen88

Super Moderator
I had a similar issue when setting up my sump...i took things apart a few time and still had a slow leak so I ended trying a so called plumbers magic tape that i had used on my washroom sink...it worked great!...stopped the leak in no time...cost was like $8-10...picked it up from Canadian tire and Home Depot...here's what it is!...try it! and it's not permanent..

http://www.inmainplumbingsupplies.com/en/our-bestsellers/Plumbing-Pipe-Leak-Repair-Tape.html

hustler

This is the culprit right here, Im going to check the magic tape out tonight or im just gonna weld it :)
They may send me a new pump as the threads were rough and the head casing is cracked, Not leaking but still
007-2.jpg

And while i was messing around i made a media box out of egg crate and zip ties :)
001-5.jpg

008-2.jpg

It cleans it up a bit, and makes it look like theres something in there lol

Joey

nice! The new media box looks great.. probely should have left the media in the bags though, makes it easier to clean.

Depending on how bad that leak is, id shut the pump off for a couple days and let a bead of silicone cure around it. Just sand the area first to rough it up a bit first to allow the silicone to stick to it better.

chen88

Super Moderator
I think the magic tape would work!...use a full roll and pull tight around the groves and it should work!

hustler

I am definatly going to have to come up with some kind of either line lock system or a big pipe with several holes drilled in it for the 2 1 1/2" bulkheads pouring into the tank..... I threw a couple silver aro's in there and it blows them around if they are in the middle of the tank.

hustler

Thanks for all the help and complements guys, I really appreciate it :)
Cant wait to get her running snag free with some asians and rays in there :)
Then i can finally relax

hustler

And i know you guys get rowdy with chicks in the pics i post..... i cant help it.... I got 30k in wall paper in my shop care of the gentalmens clubs... pin up art print, an elvira pinball machine.... pin up tats and well yea the maniquinn..... Still it come with the hobby care of Indo 7 :)
id7peek2.jpg

skynoch

It's looking great so far. I remember when I first started plumbing my tank I figured I would have it done in about an 1/8 of the actual time it took.
For your leak use a couple wraps of teflon and then liquid teflon over the teflon tape and you should have no problems. For your drain on your drip system you may want to put in a p-trap for gases coming up. And with your drip system did you put in a 40 psi to 25 psi pressure reducer in? I found that if I go to http://flexpvc.com/ and view all the types of pvc fittings they have I can design what I'll do first and then go purchase my products. There are alot of header systems and such for your pump return bulkheads. Also it is a bad idea to use silicone at least on the rubber side of a bulkhead as it will cause the rubber to stretch.
Looking forward to seeing some more shots.

hustler

Well skynoch here you go :)
I didnt bother with the silicon and the bulkheads.... I never have before and i havent had one fail yet, the seep in the pump is still there even after the teflon and pipe dope so i have to chalk that up to bad threads on the pump (there rough) so im going to try the magic tape or a new pump...
I have 2 ball valves turned way down on the 1/4 inch line on my drip system so i figured a psi regulator wouldnt be needed but a 1gph nipple is running at 2.5 so ill have to invest in one i guess regardless.
Had an amonia spike in the 180 today due to me stealing sand and bio from it for the 300 and decided in damnd if i do and damnd if i dont...... Stressful fight bagging em but only 2 dropped scales and a few jumper silvers (in bags) :)
Everyone is happy now and the auto changer seems to be doing the job after testing the out water at 40 gallons a day....
010-1.jpg

021.jpg

012-1.jpg

Thanks again for all the help guys..... Probably would still be messing with the 180 had i not found this forum and all the AMAZING info

hustler

PS......
Its stupid to me how quickly one can fill a 300 gallon when you have so much love for aro's..... Im already digging through the plywood sections..... Ill be divorced with a Killer comm by next year lol.....
Still have the maniquinn tho i guess LOL

chen88

Super Moderator
good stuff!....man i wished i've got a drip system...sure would help with water changes and perhaps a longer vacation and not having to rush back to do a water change! LOL