new BD pup

chen88

Super Moderator
Awesome! Nice job Chen!!!

Thanks Joey...just have to switch on the lights and she swims upside down on the container lid and lets me rub her stomach before she goes at the blood worms...cool

Very nice! Congrats! May there be many more to come!

I'm thinking my large female has now been knock up too....so hope this is the start of the breeding machine...but you know....best not to think about it and let it surprise you! :)

chen88

Super Moderator
Just took some photos after clean tank this morning...she looks darker without the light :) She will be 1 month old as of this Monday Nov. 11th. Eating like a champ...well...a light weight Champ. She's taking 2 cubes of blood worms per day and aggressively takes it from my fingers. Started to introduce her to small pieces of Massivore...she's taking them too but seems to struggle but still taking them.

Will be setting up a new 50-90gal tank for her in the next month so she can have a larger home to grow and hopefully be joined by more brothers and sisters soon :) can only hope.

Last edited:

JLee

Congrats Chen! Can't believe I missed this thread. IMHO - the best food for pups at this age are chopped up dew worms (Lumbricus Terrestris). It really beefs them up, just make sure you get them from a trustworthy source and have the stomach to be able to cut them up.

BTW - Fantastic looking BD rays!

chen88

Super Moderator
Mentioned to find time to do my annual major clean of my sump this weekend and will mostly use it to house my BD Pup. All I'm going to do is ensure the outlet to the drain and pumps are secured and I'm ready to put the pups in there. I like this better then setting up a new tank as it's already in the same environment that its in now so water quali is good and nothing to worry about. I can easily fit in 4- 6pus in there sump....

Just have to relocate the heaters and that's pretty much it...

photo_zps189a9761.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Hey Chen if you running out of places to put your pups u can send it my way I have plenty of tanks.

I remember when I visited Frank and Nico in Holland, back when they had their big operation going, they would house pups all over Holland with friends and fellow fish keepers to do grow outs. :)

chen88

Super Moderator
I remember when I visited Frank and Nico in Holland, back when they had their big operation going, they would house pups all over Holland with friends and fellow fish keepers to do grow outs. :)

wow...good for frank!...mine you he probably had lots and lots of pups that he can't house....I've only got one and a few more little ones so I'll have to find a way to keep in my house... :)

h.l_nathan

well if u eventually run out of rooms let me know.
Cirrus already knows it that i've just got back into this hobby after 4 years away....Back in a big way with 2 lfs in BC

h.l_nathan

This subject is straying away from Chens babies. but yup IPU.
Hopefully I can start to get some of my soon comm tank to breed like Chens did, but more open to the public to see

chen88

Super Moderator
Just cleared the and in she goes....glad i didn't have to set up another tank!. this way she's in the same water quality as the others...

Last edited:

chen88

Super Moderator
updated photos of dad, pup and my other prego mom to be..

mom to be...was chewed up quite a bit but her disc grew back fairly quick

1 1/2 month old female pup...same father different mother..